Saturday, July 25, 2009

Cultural Event #5

This weekend, I find myself in scenic Idaho! My wife has been tormented by dental pain to the point of contemplating a life without teeth, so we came up here to visit our good dentist friend Dr. Bond- licenced to drill. We explained the we had to get back by Saturday morning so that we could attend the farmers market in Provo for this week's cultural event. "Nonsense!," said he, "Why, this very evening there is a Pioneer Day festival on yonder plain! 'Shall be music, dancing, and all varieties of merriment!" Upon further questioning I learned that there would be a specific concert of the western/country variety. Using the vast intellect God gave me, I determined that this was very much a cultural event of MUSIC! We determined to go with him and traveled with him many dreary miles across the Idahoian wilderness until...

KER-THUD! We were there. I looked around for the source of the odd sound-effect, but none was to be found. We walked from the parking lot across the grass field and into the square where many were to be found merriment-ing. I was eager to find this rumored Country Concert, and looked with much eagerness and angst until at last! I found it!

T'was a make-shift stage on the back of a diesel truck; Quite fitting of the caliber of the music which was soon to grace my ears. T'were two guitar player, two singers, and one with a strange bass instrument made from a washtub, broomhandle, and a very long rubber band. T'with great anticipation I awaited the start of what promised to be the closest thing to a heavenly choir I had heard in all my short life. I could feel the impatience eminating from the 1500 Idahans gathered around in a huge semi-circle eating thier ham and beans from the buffet tables behind them. Then, oh what rapture!, the five men clad in blue jeans and cowboy hats began to sing!

They sang first the sad ballad of John Denver, "Country Road." Tears has already begun their steady and salty work in my eyes by the time they had finished. I was simply overcome as they sang for the next hour all variety of country classics. Truly, this was I night that I shall never forget. I shall never forget the sight of those five mighty men, surrounded by the crowd of Idahan hicks, and the smell of beans and cornbread the filled the evening air. Yea, this shall be a night that I shall one day tell my children in an eventide tale. As they drift off to sleep, I shall spin the stories of the Cowboy Band of Idaho, and that evening I will never forget. As their eyes close, my children will drift into sleep with such thoughts as, "For a truth, none had it quite so good as our dad."

The atmosphere gets a 10. The music was great. You can never go wrong with a collection of classics. 10. The perfomance itself was wonderful. They sang and played great. I'll give them a 9 however because they all had dark blue jeans except for one of the singers who wore very pale blue. No mosquito bites. The bugs get a 10 as well. All in all, t'was a great night.

4 comments:

  1. Nice painting of a country weekend with your twas, twere and twiths! Sounds really nice, I might like to visit Idaho sometime (in the summer).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you wrote that! It helped me feel the environment you were in! I love Idaho for so many reasons... but this just makes my unexplained love grow even deeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your enthusiasm and the way you described your experience. It sounds like you really, really enjoy country music. I love some of those classics too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Idaho is another one of my favorite states, next to Nevada, Wyoming and Montana. Sounds like you had a blast up there. Good thing you didn't have to drive all the way back to Provo.

    ReplyDelete