Saturday, July 18, 2009

Cultural Event #4






I was a little short on time this week, so I opted for one of my "optional" options for a cultural event.

While in Salt Lake running certain errands, I found myself with some extra time on Temple Square. Deciding to visit the conference center, I discovered that they had a huge gallery of religious art displayed in the West wing! Above are some of my favorite pieces. I tried to think about everything that we're learning in class about how to read art. So with these pieces, the ones I really liked, and tried to think about their context, intended audience, and the author's thoughts.

The first painting was titled "Solitude" and shows a woman outside of a castle in nature praying. Immediately the topic of secret prayer came to mind. That in and of itself gives the painting important meaning- especially to its intended audience of LDS folk. But then I wondered, why would the artist choose a castle in the background? The girl is wearing a dress which can be considered modern or archaic, so it's difficult to tell the time period. What I ended up deciding is that it can be both. In times present and ancient we build walls around our lives that are so thick and high to protect ourselves, that sometimes the only way to get to God is to stray outside of them.

I forgot the title to the next painting.... But it portrays Christ appearing before Pilate beaten and bloody. The painting itself is very symmetrical; and yet very weighted. While the eye tends to give equal weight to each side of the painting, the reality is that the King on the left is of far more importance than the king on the right. Although despised and tortured, He stands in majesty while Pilate seems to cower. Even though the artist is portraying blood, which is usually shied away from in LDS culture, I feel that his work will become a classic among those who actually strive to understand the price Christ actually payed.

The final painting was entitled "Agape" which is Greek for "God's Love." It is rich with symbolism. Bordered in red with three corners, 10 stones above three trees centered above a mountain. These references to holy numbers, the atonement, and the temple are rich. One can't help thinking that the city on the right is paved with streets of gold, the only substance rich enough for God's faithful to walk upon in Zion. This was by far the one I spent the most time looking at, it really got me thinking.

I really loved this exhibit and would urge you all to go. I loved it, and there's a whole bunch of new classics there.

2 comments:

  1. I liked your descriptions of the paintings. The one you showed of Christ and Pilate is intriguing. I do like how the artist portrayed Christ and Pilate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a pretty good analysis of these paintings. I like how you used what you learned in order to get a little more to the meaning.

    ReplyDelete