Saturday, August 8, 2009

Cultural Event #7

So tonight I went to go see the Thrillionaires at the Covey Center for the Arts-- my theatrical event. The stage was in the center, pushed back against the wall and surrounded by the audience on 3 sides. The whole room was black, as were their costumes. They're an improv group so, after a few suggestions from the audience, they did their thing!

They performed 2 plays, the second was a musical. The first number, "Funky Goons", was a Shakespear parody. There was a young man who ended up in love with his mother-in-law/stepmother, and everyone was killing everyone but then in the end no one was really dead. It was hullarious. The musical was entitled "Corncakes" about a mystical corncake recipe that everyone wanted but that was buried with the woman who made it that turned out to be the mother of two families who eneded up meeting at the beginning. Crazy.

I'm personally glad that I found something like this for my theater entry; it is very much my style. I enjoyed how even when the actors messed up, they would just make a joke of it. In any other theatrical setting it would have ruined the whole moment. The all black was a nice touch. It really let you fill in the costume with your imagination. The cast was a great mix as well, and played off each other very nicely. I give the performance a 10. Truly great work in the tradition of "Whose-line-is-it-anyway?" The Atmosphere also gets a 10. I loved the all black, and the audience was very perticipative and involved. I reccomend it to anyone, and it's every Saturday night, in case you wanted to let your future students know about it, Sister Stokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment