Saturday, August 1, 2009

Cultural Event #6

After this week, there's only one more: Theatre! Then I will be officially cultured and an obviously better human being.

This week I went to the Pioneer Legacy dance performance at the Covey Center for the Arts. It was a very long day and this wasn't a great way to end it. I discovered tonight that I am not the biggest dance fan.

I've been to ballets before and stomached through it because that's what you do when you want to appear cultured. What a bunch of crap. I guarantee that 90% of the people who go to these things would much rather be at home reading a book. Instead, they get all dressed up and go so they can tell their neighbors how refined they are.

Anyways, a flowing, WAY OVERLY-DRAMATIC narrative guided the dances. "We had a dream... yes... a dream. A dream... of dreams... we were dreaming... about achieving our dreams... in our dreams.... and now a dance." At first, the dancers were poorly costumed and contorting themselves to ill-selected music. Later, they decided to go with the theme of the show and dress as actual pioneers. They attemped to dance on boats, the plains, and in Salt-Lake City. I say attempted because it really reminded me of that modern dance lady we talked about in class who was like, "OoooOoooO! Look! I'm Nature!" as she carelessly tossed her sanity out the window. They even had a whole number devoted to children in their pajamas hugging each other. Needless to say, there were a few too many warm fuzzies for me to breathe in the auditorium. After some air, I went back in to finish the performance.

It did get progressively better, so I think it was worthwhile. There were probably a lot more people there who actually enjoyed it. I personally felt that the dancing could use A LOT of work, but the auditorium was great. Performance gets a... oh alright, a 6. (but just because I'm feeling nice) Atmosphere gets a 10, they keep that place clean. Over all, however, the best part about going was being able to ride my motorcycle there and back.

2 comments:

  1. Its too bad you didnt have a great time at the performance! i probably would have liked it because i really cant tell the difference between good and bad dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am glad you got to ride your motorcycle, that is the important thing. But I do have to say that I like how you dish it out... straight to the point will no bull! But now just think of how many people you have saved from attending this event, that is if they ever put it on again. Dance is a hard thing to stomach. I think you have to have a real passion for it to enjoy it. I attended the dance competition at BYU today. I do have to say that I was impressed with how the dancers held themselves and how they interacted with each other. Anyway, i appreciate the blog.

    ReplyDelete