Friday, June 26, 2009

Reading for Week 1

I enjoyed the readings this week. Not just because most of it only required me to read the introductions to the individual chapters, but because of the Appendices. I found the section on gods, demigods, and other symbols very entertaining. I've always felt that Zeus and his family of Olympians would make an outstanding soap opera/comedy. What with Zeus always sleeping around and Hera catching him at the most inopportune times, the other gods all drooling over Athena - Genius.

Perhaps I just haven't disciplined myself to the proper level yet, but I found the reading on Beauty and a few of the other articles rather dull. In my opinion there are some things you just can't argue about. They are innate and go without saying. Others are wholly dependent on the person. There is no real way to define what beauty is and when it happens for everyone.

Anyways, I still find myself fascinated by some things, repulsed by others. Literature is up there, and I struggle with Art. But that's why I'm in the class... gotta expand the old horizons...

2 comments:

  1. hopefully we'll be able to discuss these issues this next week and figure out why people even try to define beauty and art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your thoughts about the definition of beauty. I think that its the person that is looking at the creation (whatever it may be) that desides weither it is beautiful or not because everyone has their own taste and preference.

    ReplyDelete